Friday, August 19, 2005

Phone interviews kind of suck

So Tuesday morning I got up and decided I would spend some quality time in the morning looking for jobs. I found and applied to a couple after a few hours of looking including one that was advertised through David Aplin Recruiting. They don't usually advertise junior level positions because it's often just not worth it but I guess this was an exception. That afternoon (about an hour and a half later) I got a call from a lady in the Edmonton office of Aplin and talked to her for about 20 min before she said she'd pass my application onto her client, a huge international firm called Accenture. The next morning I was checking my e-mail when I noticed a note from someone at Accture already (wow they were working fast). The e-mail asked me when I was free for a phone interview/introduction. I said basically anytime in the next 3 days and that afternoon I talked to a lady in Ottawa for 40 min or so about the position and who I was. She also informed me that I would be passed on for a full length "performance factor" (behavioral) interview and would receive an e-mail telling me a number and a time to call in to this "meeting area".

In the continued fast pace of this process, I received my e-mail invitation to call at 10 Central time. So 9:00 yesterday morning I was on the phone...with someone in Colorado that does these kind of phone interviews for Accenture. 1 hour and 20 minutes later I hung up with a sore elbow from holding the phone and a parched throat from running my mouth. I think the interview actually went quite well but this brings up one of my main problems with phone interviews...without seeing the person face to face, it's hard to judge what they really think. Anyway, I should be getting moved on to the next phase of interviews (hopefully) and it should be a face to face interview with someone in Edmonton. I'm actually quite excited about this oportunity and it sounds like a good company to work for. If the previous pace is to continue I think I should be hearing from them again by mid next week. They may have me hopping all over the continent on the phone but at least they move fast.

No comments: