Monday, August 08, 2005

NHL is back: part 1...the draft

Originally written July 31...

Well the Sydney Crosby era has begun I guess. Don't get me wrong, I know the kid is great and all and I have no doubts of his ability to play in the NHL but is he alone the savior of the NHL...no (well not alone anyway). That being said, he probably will save the Pittsburg franchise and hopefully will increase the media popularity of hockey in the US. As for the Oiler's draft picks...meh. It's too bad in a way that they were that far down in the draft order. Now I like their first pick and he does seem to fit in with the small speedy guys we seem to collect and develop but I think we're going to need some size at some point in time. I do like the selection of Danny Syvret. He was the player that captained the London Knights to the CHL championships last year (Memorial Cup) and has the potential to actually start in the NHL either this or next year. I just can't wait until tomorrow when the free agent frenzy begins!

**Hindsight Note: I guess we have addressed the size issue a bit with Pronger but I'll get into that later...and the free agent frenzy was (and is) just that

No comments: