Friday, August 19, 2005

NHL is back: part 4...the rest of the frenzy

Ok, I'm going to just combine all of the rest of my thoughts on the return of the NHL into one big post. Parts of this I wrote earlier but I'm just going to put it all together and mix it in with my latest thoughts.

So not only Pronger is an Oiler, but Peca too. Now I'm a big fan of Mike York and I think he was a huge asset to Edmonton but when we can get Peca in a trade like that...I'm a happy guy. As far as all of the other signings that the Oilers have done, it's just good to start getting the whole team back in the fold. They definitely still need to sign Smyth but most of the other key pieces are already back in place.

Elsewhere in the Western Conference, it looks like both Vancover and Calgary are building scary solid teams and there will be some good battles this year. Also with Gretzky heading up the Coyotes there seems to be a lot of strength there too. And you can never really count out Detroit and Colorado even though they can't just throw money at their problems anymore.

But the scariest looking team so far in my estimation is the Pittsburg Penguins. They just keep sigining/trading for more good players. Overall their lineup looks pretty solid except in the defensive core. But as Jay said, who needs a whole lot of defense when you score 10 goals a game.

Well, that's my viewpoint so far. I had more minor comments but this is already long enough and most of you are probably tired of me talking about hockey so I'll just move on to the next topic.

No comments: