Monday, August 15, 2005

A good weekend

So this was probably my busiest weekends in a while...sort of. A lot of good times were had though. Yesterday afternoon I went paintballing with some friends at Young Guns paintballing out past Stony Plain. I didn't like it quite as much as the place Dan, Norm, Ryan, and I normally go but it was still good fun and I managed to not get too shot up. Afterwards I headed over to Dan's parent's place for a party Dan and his sister were throwing while their parents were in Jasper.

It didn't start as a big party but once it got going...ah...good times were had by all. So besides having a full night of drinking and visiting, a poker game broke out. Actually more like a mini tournament. 9 guys...$10 buy ins...winner takes almost all (everything but the second place guy's buy in). Now I didn't go into the game expecting to do very well (I had consumed copious amounts of alcohol by this time) but I was looking to have some fun. Little did I know that a couple hours later I would be going heads up for the $80 1st place prize. I played quite well (especially for someone who'd been drinking and wasn't paying much attention to the game at the start) and was particularly proud of my final hand where I flopped the nuts (best hand) flush and managed to sucker the other guy into putting all his money in. So yeah...great party, good poker, and generally good times.

When I woke up this morning (on the Townes' couch) I wasn't feeling great (due to the liquid consumed the night before) but I wasn't feeling that bad either. Much better than I had felt a few mornings getting up this week anyway (I haven't been feeling good this week for those that don't know). So I watched some early morning golf coverage and chatted it up with a few of the other people that stayed the night before helping clean up the huge mess we'd left. We did a pretty good job, ok, Misha did a pretty good job, of cleaning up the inside and Dan and I even drained and cleaned the hot tub. A lot better result than the last big party at the Towne acreage where we left a bit more of a mess and didn't clean up nearly as well. Plus I was in a bit better shape this time so I could actually clean up the mess rather than contribute to it. Anyway, after a good weekend like that it's going to be a boring week but oh well. Maybe the BBQ that Julie and I are planning on having either Tuesday or Thursday night will break things up a bit.

P.S. I will actually get the last couple NHL postings up sometime soon.

No comments: