Monday, August 08, 2005

NHL is back: part 3...Chris Pronger's an Oiler

Originally written August 3 (at about 1 in the morning)...

I just hear the news...Chris Pronger is an Oiler! Now I would normally be estatic about this, and don't get me wrong, I am happy, but we gave up an awful lot for him. Brewer, I hate to see you go but if it's Pronger that's falling into your place, I can definitely stomach it. I really hate to see us give up two really promising young D-men though. You can be sure that in 5 years or so we'll be looking back on this and wonder why we gave up some of the newest defense stars in the NHL (well maybe not that extreme but you get the idea). On the other hand, Pronger may just be the boost we need to make it further into the playoffs. I guess only time will tell. The best part about this move though is that it proves that in the "new NHL", even the small market Canadian teams can land big players. Good for Lowe for pulling the trigger on one of the biggest moves so far. Hmmm...maybe we can get Niedermayer to play with Pronger...nah, too much money in one defense pair...still, I can dream.

No comments: