Tuesday, August 10, 2004

My vacation summary: Part 2

So it's been a little bit in coming, and now I've been back for almost a week but now, as promised, here's more about my trip to PEI...

So after meeting up with my parents in the Halifax airport (I'd say Halifax except that the airport is way out of town) and we were confronted with a decision. Do we go to Halifax and see the tallships that were only starting to come in that day or do we go straight to the island? Since it wasn't a nice day at the time and I'd already had a trying morning, we just decided it would be better to head for the ferry. Along the way we stopped at the normal rest stop we always do in Stewiacke to go to the Dairy Queen and get the Digby scallop basket...mmm...fast food scallops. If only the rest of Canadian Dairy Queens and not just those on the East coast had Digby scallops, I might go there more. So we continued to drive north trying to time it right to make the ferry without having to wait long. I guess we took a little longer than we should have at the DQ but we managed to be one of the last 10 cars onto a ferry that arrived only minutes after we got into line to get on. Now some people ask why we would take the ferry when it is just as fast to go around and take the Confederation Bridge (the big stick connecting New Brunswick with PEI) when you're going from Nova Scotia to the East end of the island, but unless you've taken both the ferry and the bridge there you probably wouldn't understand much. For one, it's much nicer to get out and walk around the ferry than sitting in a car, but the main reason for me is just the atmosphere. Getting back to the island by way of the ferry is just a little bit (now forgive the corny feeling here) magical. It just kind of signifies the start of my vacation when I see the red sand shores and the lighthouse coming up.

So the ferry ride was good and I got to visit with my parents some more as well as we saw some seals and a ton of porpoises (which made my mom happy). We stopped at the visitors centre for a map and whatnot and then headed for Montague (my dad's home town on the East end of the island). We got to my uncle and aunt's house in the middle of the afternoon and just spent the rest of the first day visiting and catching up. And for supper...scallop bubbly bake...YUM. In case some of you don't know, scallops are my favorite food. Just so I don't bring it up again, I had scallops some 5 or 6 times while I was back East in various forms and even that wasn't enough. I also ate a lot of strawberries...mmm...almost as good as scallops.

I guess I'll have to continue this in another post later...which will be sooner rather than later unlike this one.

No comments: