Friday, August 06, 2004

My vacation summary: Part 1

Well, I guess I'll take a bit of time and summarize my vacation to PEI. Since this could take a while, I'll probalby do it in a few posts, but then I won't have to repeat the stories to everyone who asks about my trip.

It didn't start off on the best note. I woke up last Thursday morning at some unholy hour (5:00 am) so I could take a cab to the airport for my 7:10 flight. I woke up on time and immediately called and booked a cab to pick me up at 5:30. I had all my stuff packed and I was ready to go by 5:20 so I decided I may as well go downstairs and wait for the cab. After standing and waiting by the elevators for over 10 min I was starting to get worried. My cab was probably waiting downstairs and if the elevators weren't coming after 10 min I wasn't taking the chance that they would come in the next 10...so I took the stairs...with my golf clubs, suitcase (duffle bag for clothes), and my backpack. Down the 16 fligths of stairs to come out of the stairs to the outside just in time to catch my cab before he could drive off. Not the best start but I figured it could only get better...I didn't count on the Air Canada factor.

So I got to the airport in good time and was in line for my ticket by 6:00. Plenty of time right?...wrong. The line up was huge, and Air Canada, in its infinite wisdom, only had 3 ticket "windows" open. So as I stood in line and watched the time go by as other people were pulled out of line so they wouldn't miss their flights. Finally, at about 6:40, they pulled the Halifax flight that I was on out of the line to get checked in (keep in mind they only accept baggage for a flight up to 30 min before the departure time). So at least I got checked in...but then I hadn't been through security yet. As I waited in another huge line I began to worry if I would catch my flight. I finally get to the front of the line with about 5 min before my flight and of course get sent to the metal detector with some guy that doesn't know what "take any items out of your pockets" means. So after watching this guy get scanned several times, each time taking one or two more items out of different (or sometimes the same) pockets, I finally got passed through and ran down the terminal to my gate at the far end. I made the plane only to find that my seat was the one in the back corner of the plane where you can't recline the seat and the armrest is 4 inches or so in from where it should be because the plane starts to curve towards the tail. By the time I got to Halifax I was just happy that the plane didn't crash and that I'd managed to find my mom and dad without any hassle.

Ok, that was the rant and the only bad thing that happened on my vacation so when I post the next part it should be shorter and less bitchy.

No comments: