Thursday, January 06, 2005

Gone Skiing

It's amazing how much I missed the mountains. With my grandparents living in Jasper we came up so often when I was growing up that I took trips to the mountains for granted. Coming back after being away for over a year and a half has given me new appreciation for the beauty here.

Today my mom, dad, and I went skiing to Marmot Basin. After skiing last in the "mountains" in the east (Jay Peak in Vermont and Mount Cascade in Quebec), Marmot seems a much bigger ski area than I thought before. It was good to get back to what I would deem my "home hill". Despite the wind blowing the snow around and fogging problems with my goggles, we had a good day. There is no one at the hill and it was decent snow conditions where the wind didn't blow all the snow off to reveal ice. I found a couple decent jumps on the easy runs and so managed to keep myself occupied while taking some of the easier runs with my parents. I worked some muscles that haven't been worked for a while and I'll probably feel it even more in the morning but it was well worth it.

Nothing like relaxing with a good book and looking out the window at the Canadian Rockies after a day of skiing.

No comments: