Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Lying in bed...awake...

Ever have your brain running at full tilt when all you want it to do is shut off? That's been happening a lot lately when I go to bed. I'm tired, or know I need to get up early, so I go to bed at a decent hour (11 or 11:30 is pretty decent for me). Then, my brain starts running through everything going on in my life (and if you've been keeping track, I'm not exactly Mr. Free Time right now). Sometimes it's nice to stop and think about stuff you haven't stopped to think about it a while but the problem is that the brain just won't stop. It's firing on all cylinders at exactly the wrong time. And I'm not getting enough sleep because of it. A couple nights ago, I was up until almost 3:00, wide awake and thinking about everything and nothing at the same time. I tried all my normal tricks (I even tried counting sheep in French but that only got me thinking about French stuff) but nothing worked. If anyone else has this problem or has any ideas on how I can avoid it, please let me know.

On a totally different note, I passed my Bloc II French class at work so I should be starting Bloc III in January. At least now I could communicate major ideas across, albeit in simple sentences and at a ridiculously slow pace most of the time. Now I have to worry about my ski patrol testing which starts with the written tomorrow night. Study time...wish me luck (and hope that I can sleep better).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yikes Dave! If I have trouble sleeping I start a story in my head. I'll put myself in an interesting setting, and have fun with it. Before I know it, I drift off.

I don't know what your place is like, but if there is light coming in from the street try putting a black t-shirt over your eyes, and if you can hear noises, try some earplugs. Then just immerse yourself in a different, fun world.

This article has some -interesting- suggestions:
http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/1569.html

One other tip...if you don't fall asleep within 30 mins, get up. Do something. Read, clean the kitchen, or anything! If you're stressing about not sleeping it doesn't help. So stop stressing and try again in 30 mins. Good luck!

Dave said...

Thanks Alison, I'll give it a try tonight if I can't sleep.