Saturday, March 18, 2006

Hockey Night in Canada

Well, it's Saturday night and guess where I am...parked squarely in front of the glowing box as are many Canadians on every Saturday night. I do have one major issue with the sports broadcasting in Canada (more specifically in Ontario) and that would be the intense focus on Toronto. Not that this is a whole lot different than a lot of other news coverage or anything in Canada but for sports it just annoys me that much more. Every set of sports highlights starts and ends with something to do with the Maple Leafs, or the Raptors, or the Jays. Even when the Leafs aren't playing that night or didn't have a game the night before, the geniuses at Sportsnet and TSN still find some little bit pertaining to the Leafs to show and waste our time. CBC is even worse. Did you know that Toronto plays every Saturday of the season and is always the the early game on Hockey Night in Canada this season? That's just rediculous. At least tonight I don't have to put up with the lame Leafs thanks to my timeshifting cable package and coverage of the Montreal game (which is turning out to be a great game by the way). At least soon we won't have to hear as much about the Leafs because the playoffs are coming and I don't think Toronto is going to make it...yay!

Speaking of the playoffs...I think the Oilers could go deep this year...seriously for real this time. I was hesitant at first but Roloson has found his place in Edmonton now and it looks like he's starting to settle and play like the #1 goalie we were looking for. And Samsonov...what a great pick up. 4 points already with the oil drop on his chest and I think the good times will only get better. We'll see how the Oilers do tonight against Detroit but I'm definitely looking forward to the game. Well, I'd better make some supper before Don Cherry comes on so it's ready for the second period of the Habs game.

GO OILERS GO!!

2 comments:

Daphne Supergirl said...

A friendly rejoinder to anti-Leafs sentiments:

1. Majority rules, I'm afraid.
2. Besides, where's your sense of hockey history?

Dave said...

A. Majority? Maybe in Toronto it's a majority, the rest of us shouldn't have to put up with it all the time.

B. Hockey history? When was the last time the Leafs won the cup? If I was concerned with hockey history I'd think more about the Habs. That's hockey history.