Friday, January 27, 2006

The Apartment Search

Well, as many of you know, I have been searching for an apartment here in Ottawa for the last week or so. The last couple days I've looked at 4 different buildings, two being kind of ghetto and the other two (the two I looked at today) being quite nice. Is it the management company that runs the buildings that makes the difference? I'm sure starting to think so.

The places I looked at today were clean, well maintained, and looked to be well prepared for new tenants. This compares to the other ones which had okay suites, but the building isn't as well kept and the attitude of management shows. Again, the people that showed me the places today were very friendly helpful and not really pushy (which kind of surprised me a bit, being a young single male looking for "party pad"). Anyway, in case you haven't guessed by now, I'm pretty gung ho about one of the places I looked at today. I actually put in an application and if I'm serious about it going ahead (which I believe I am), then tomorrow I'm going to put down my last month's rent deposit (instead of a damage deposit for those familiar with that alternate setup). There are a few "issues" with the place but I believe they are worth it.

First, the rent is a little higher than I was first planning on paying. Granted, this place is also nicer than I was first thinking. Second, it doesn't have either a dishwasher or insuite laundry. Again, not a huge issue but did cross my mind. Now the biggest issue is the bus ride. I was planning on getting a place really close to work so I could just walk to work. You know, sleeping in later, less hassle. The kicker is, most of the places near work (the aforementioned "ghetto" places) aren't super nice. Not saying that they're all not good, I know there are nice places too. But the more I think about it, the more I realize that it's more important (especially without a car) to be close to groceries and other facilities than close to work. A 15 min bus ride isn't a big deal to work (even though a bus pass is kind of costly) and it beats the heck out of walking 25 min in the snow with 10 bags of groceries. At least I could be right across the street from a major (24 hour none the less) grocery store. And a Wal-Mart 10 more steps away to boot. Anyway, I'll let you all know how everything turns out.

For now I'm heading to bed. At least this morning I got out of bed relatively easily (only hit snooze twice) and got to work on time.

5 comments:

Llewellyn said...

Sweet.
Make sure there's plenty of floor room for those of us who plan to stop by in July.
:)

Dave said...

What do you mean floor room? You aren't staying in my bed ;)? Don't worry, I went by and looked at the place again today and that view really is spectacular. Again, the only gripe I have is the slightly undersized kitchen but the view, balcony, living room, and cleanliness (and friendliness) of the complex make it worth it.

Anonymous said...

Hey Dave,

Glad to see that you finally found gainful employment.

I, on the other hand, just finished school, I'm starting a job with an oil company in Calgary in February, and I just got engaged this past saturday to an engineer named Andrew.

Anyways, that's all I have. Talk to you later.

Kathryn

Dave said...

Congratulations on everything. I'll try to fire you an e-mail tomorrow. Sometime between regulated breaks and banging my head on my desk trying to figure stuff out :).

Llewellyn said...

Bed? You have a bed?