Monday, January 16, 2006

First Day of "Work"

Well, I'm back to being a government worker. And in typical public service fashion, I couldn't do any real work today due to the fact that there are layers upon layers of red tape. First I needed my security pass (less of a hassle than I thought it would be), then I need to fill out another form for computer accounts. Oh wait, I signed that Friday. Oh well, take that up to the help desk to get my accounts. Wait, they can't just issue an account because you have clearance already and are already an employee. They have to do another security check of some kind and, "You'll get you accounts sometime between 2 days 2 weeks". So I read what little documentation I could, visited a bunch with those I didn't talk to on Friday, and then pissed away the rest of the day. Not overly unlike my first first day there (where we had an extended lunch and did nothing but really play around on the computers...at least we could get on them). At least Jarett and I got some orientation like stuff done last time. I don't need much orienting (is that a word?) this time...I just need work to do and a computer to do it on. Anyway, hopefully *crosses fingers* I will have an account tomorrow...or Wednesday at the latest.

At least tonight I got to go out and play some pool. I forgot how much I missed it. Not just the pool but the relaxed and friendly league that I play in (and used to run) which leads to meeting a lot of really nice and friendly people. Good to see some of the old gang back and still shooting but I missed a few people I thought might still be there. Guess the location move in the last year and other life changes chased a few people off. I at least had a respectable 4-4 record while shaking the rust off. I also managed to squeak out 2 games of Snooker over Mike. Fun stuff. I'm already looking forward to next week.

Well I'd better actually get some sleep. Hopefully it won't just be another long day of sitting on my butt in my office staring at a login screen that I can do nothing about. Here's hoping.

1 comment:

Llewellyn said...

You... are a poo head.
You know, there are actually those of us who are expected to work at work!
Sheepers.