Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Pool Champion

As most of you know, I co-run an 8-ball pool league on Monday nights. It started out for interns and co-op students and their friends but it's turned into more a core group of people with some newcomers every term. We have fun and socialize, it's not a really serious league but there are some good players. As time has gone on, I've developed into one of them. Every 4 months our term or "season" is done and we have a party and a tournament for those that have shown up for half of the weeks. Back when I was an intern here I somehow managed to win one of these tournaments (mostly on luck but a little skill was involved). Last Monday was our Fall '06 tournament.

I got off to a rocky start and wasn't playing very well but then I played Kevin (sorry KAK, I have to write about this). The first game I didn't play overly well and lost but managed to get almost all my balls down. Then I broke for our second game and proceeded to sink 2-balls off the break (1 solid, 1 stripe) and then the rest of the stripes in one turn, followed of course by the 8-ball. I had my first ever ERO!! For those that don't know, an ERO, or Eight-ball Run Out, is not an easy thing and mine was no exception. I had to make a couple of difficult shots and move the cue ball around the table just right. For me to accomplish this relatively rare feat (well, rare for someone of my ability anyway) was special to me and got me going for the rest of the night. I did manage to lose another game but it was still part of the round robin and I managed to play solid in the finals and come away the winner. Kudos to Mike who I defeated in the finals but played much better than I in the round robin.

Anyway, despite being sick and relatively miserable for most of Monday, pool turned my week around early and has been the highlight of the month for me so far (of course Christmas is still coming). Just thought I'd share my joy and for anyone in the Ottawa area, if you're interested in playing pool, we start up our next term in January so let me know if you want to come play.

No comments: