Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Happy Valentine's Day? You tell me

Well, another overly commercialized holiday has passed us by. It's kind of funny to think that this is the first Valentine's Day that I spent at home (essentially) alone since I started University. Even though I was single last year too, I ended up out for a singles night with a big group and had one of the best nights out that I had in Ottawa. Maybe it's because it was a Monday this year, which already starts the day out with negative points. Or maybe it's because I walked by two people practically ripping the clothes off of each other in the Biological Sciences building as I was walking back to my car (though to give them a slight excuse, they might have just been studying for their human anatomy midterm). I'm not necessarily against the idea of Valentine's day, nor even the commercial aspect of it so much. It's more that I hate the PDA (public displays of affection) that couples flaunt all over campus and the mall. The poor folk like myself that lack a "better half" just feel worse for not being with someone at the time and bitter feelings just stew.

All that being said, Happy Valentine's Day to all those couples out there (and the singles too I guess)...and for the singles in particular, there's always next year.

Note: Just to clarify, I'm not looking for pity here, I don't even feel sorry for myself. I'm just offering a bit of a perspective on the day.

No comments: